The United Arab Emirates is one of the most active and growing economies in the middle east. Its nature as a financial and tourism hub attracts more and more people to its famous cities such as Dubai and Abu Dhabi every year. For example, Dubai has a large expatriate population far more than its citizens and most of its residents are enjoying high living standards. With its friendly policies toward new businesses, Dubai has become one of the best places in the world to start a new business.
With its widely diverse population and culture, Dubai is home to many fashionable and trendy people who have disposable income to spend on their image-conscious needs. In this article, we cover everything you need to know about how to start a beauty salon in Dubai.
Benefits of Starting a Salon Business in Dubai
- With its dynamic economy, demand for salon business in Dubai is very high and it is growing. There are a lot of beauty salons you can see in Dubai but still, there is plenty of room for new and differentiated salons
- There is also high demand for supplementary services such as providing education and training in beauty care.
- If you are an artist in making people look their best, Dubai is a place for you to grow and practice your beauty care skills with a demographically widely diverse population.
- The UAE’s friendly national policy towards new businesses and foreign entrepreneurs, solid economic situation, and favorable tax policies are major reasons to drive your new salon business to success.
Types of Salon Businesses in Dubai
We can see there are many types of salon businesses in Dubai focusing on different types of customer requirements. For examples, hair salons, nail salons which are specialized in manicures & pedicures, salons specializing in hair braiding, barbershops, small salons which provide services at the most affordable prices, luxury salons, and skin treatment salons are to name but a few.
Types of Salon licenses in Dubai
Although there are many types of salons in Dubai, salon licenses are granted in two main categories, Women’s Salon License, and Men’s Salon licenses. Hair trimming & washing, hair coloring, hair setting & strengthening, hair removal, skin & facial treatments, manicure & pedicure services, and foot care are some of the services which can be offered under a women’s salon license while hair trimming, waving & straightening, hair removal, skin & facial treatments, hair strengthening and foot care are some services offered under a men’s salon license.
Where to Start Salon Business in Dubai
You can start your new salon business as either a Free Zone Business Setup or in Dubai Mainland but there are pros & cons you have to consider according to your requirements. With a free zone business setup, you will benefit from zero currency restrictions, customs tax exemptions, and the ability to repatriate capital and profits. However, if your salon business is in Dubai Mainland, you have access to a much larger potential customer base. Incorporating within a mall or a hotel premises will give your salon business an added advantage.
How to Get a Salon License in Dubai
There are many formalities you have to go through to obtain a salon license but getting help from a well-experienced agent can reduce your burden and will confidently walk you to your destiny. If you are going to start your new beauty salon business in Dubai Mainland, the Department of Economic Development is the main governing body that regulates all types of Dubai Mainland business activities. Additionally, you have to get approval from Dubai Municipality and the salon should be operated according to its rules, regulations, and requirements. Here we will explain the step-by-step process.
Steps to Open a Beauty Salon in Dubai
- First, you have to decide whether you are opening your new beauty salon as a Sole Establishment or if there is more than one shareholder. (For Sole Establishment, you need to register your business as a Professional License where 100% of shares will be held by you. If you want to register your new beauty salon business with other partners, it should be registered as a Civil Company and you need to get into a partnership agreement at the Notary Public where the shares will be distributed between the shareholders. Also, a local service agreement will be executed for your new business.)
- Then you need to submit your passport and visa copies to the Department of Economic Development(DED) to obtain the No Objection Certificate(NOC). If you are partnering with other expatriates to start your new salon business, their passports and visa copies also need to be submitted to obtain this certificate.
- Now it is time to decide on the official business name for your brand-new beauty salon and reserve the trade name of the company.
- The next step is to choose a local service agent and a business premise for your new beauty salon. As we mentioned above, there are some rules, regulations, and requirements by the Dubai Municipality for operating a salon. Your new business premises must comply with these rules and it is required to get approval from the Planning Section of the Dubai Municipality.
- Apply for a No Objection Permit(NOP) from the Department of Health and Public Safety of Dubai Municipality.
- Now you can come into an agreement with all your partners at the Notary Public.
- Submit all the required documents to the Department of Economic Development along with the trade license fee and receive the trade license.
- The next step is to apply for the Company Establishment Card and the Company Labor Card.
- In this step, you can decide the number of employees you need for your new business and apply for a labor quota.
- After you get the eligibility to hire employees, you can apply for employment visas for your new employees.
What are the Requirements for a Beauty Salon by Dubai Municipality
- The location for the salon premises must be approved by the Planning Department of Dubai Municipality.
- There must be a signboard in front of the beauty salon and sufficient lighting used in the salon.
- Clean and proper furniture must be used in the salon which meets specified guidelines by Dubai Municipality.
- The minimum height from the floor to the ceiling must be 2.30m while there must be a separate designated area for beauty treatments such as pedicure, manicure, and hair removal with a wash basing near the facial treatments area.
- Fireproof material must be used in the areas designated for the preparation of cosmetics
- A water heater is a must and cupboards and drawers must be available to store cosmetics, towels, and other equipment.
How to Go Through Beauty Salon Registration Process Successfully
Registering and making your new salon up & running seem to be a bit complex procedure but here we, The Emirates Business Setup team are always ready to take you through this journey successfully. Our most experienced agents will consult and assist you in preparing all the documents required, coordinate the registering process and make your dream venture in the UAE come true.